Comfort is easy. We all do things the same old way because it’s comfortable. But by staying firmly inside our comfort zones, we miss out on opportunities that may change our lives. A few years ago, I decided to change my life by stepping out of my comfort zone.
How did I step out of my comfort zone?
- I moved overseas
- I became fluent in a foreign language
- I set myself a series of S.M.A.R.T goals (Specific Measurable Achievable Realistic Time-based)
- I started a blog
- I wrote a plan (a business plan, that is!)
- I launched a start-up
- I made this video of myself for Woman.com.au (I hate hearing my French accent so much!) to be part of this series!
What stepping out of my comfort zone has taught me?
- Hard work pays off – consistency and commitment are the keys to success.
- Everything happens for a reason – if something doesn’t work out, move on.
- Being grateful is a fantastic feeling – because it makes you focus on the positive things in your life rather than the negative ones that might bring you down.
- Luck does not make you who you are – dedication and sacrifice does.
- Not everybody will like you – so what?
- Keep learning – because there are plenty of things you don’t learn at school!
How can you do it too?
- Of course not everyone wants to go explore the world (even if it’s temporary) but if you are a tiny little bit tempted to do so, my advice is – DO IT. You won’t regret it!
- I have met so many Australians telling me they dream of speaking or even learning a foreign language. It’s hard work but if you are committed, you can do it. Trust me, travelling somewhere and being able to speak the local language is the most rewarding experience ever!
- Look for inspiration and opportunities: these days they are so many channels out there. It took me three years to figure out what I wanted to sell. I knew I wanted to run an online business but I couldn’t find the inspiration. I couldn’t figure out what I should be selling. You will know when you have finally found your inspiration because it’s a wonderful feeling!
- Meet like-minded people. But don’t try to copy nor compare yourself to anybody. Be unique, but more importantly be yourself. ALWAYS.
I have so much I would like to share. I’m only at the beginning of my entrepreneur journey but at the same time it feels like for all those years I was just getting ready. To be at the right time, at the right place. To catch the opportunity in flight. And I did. My business Europe in a Box was launched on February 6th and currently has no direct competitors in Australia.
To make sure Cyndie claims a regular spot on WOMAN.com.au, share her posts on Facebook and Twitter, leave comments and vote.
Voting ends 8pm AEST, Tuesday, 14th May.