If you’re looking for a recipe that is as delicious as it is impressive, look no further than this little beauty – Duck Confit created by the Head Chef at the acclaimed Fitzroy Inn.
1kg Duck leg (4pcs)
1.5kg Duck fat
2tsp Coriander seed
2tsp Fennel seed
2tsp Cumin seed
2tsp Cinnamon powder
1kg Rock salt
3tsp Black pepper corn
2pcs orange zest
2pcs Spanish onion
1. Mix all the dry herbs, rock salt, black pepper, orange zest and Spanish onion in bowl
2. Marinate duck leg use herb and salt mix for 4-5hours store in fridge
3. Rinse then pat dry
4. Preheat the oven to 150c.
5. Place the duck into deep baking tray with melted duck fat (cover with the fat completely) then cover oil surface with the baking paper. Cook for 3-4hours
6. Place the cooked duck in preserving container cover completely with the cooking fat. Keep refrigerated for up to 3 month
7. Heat the non stick frying pan and crisp the duck skin for 4-5min, then turn the skin side up place the oven for another 10min.
8. To make the fennel salad, use slicer to slice the fennel, then drop into water (squeeze lemon juice into water to stop colouring), Drain well, then mix with lettuce leafs and orange segment.
9. For the dressing, use freshly squeezed lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil, sea salt flake, freshly grounded black pepper mix together. Then to mix with salads
Recipes are courtesy of the Fitzroy Inn’s Cafe | Wine Bar and its seasonal menu featuring delicious country cuisine. For more information visit http://fitzroyinn.com.au/restaurant/