The gender gap continues – professional women in Australia are still under-represented in C-level jobs.
Last year, we heard from Diana Ryall, former CEO of Apple Australia, about the injustices of the gender gap whilst working in the corporate sector. Diana revealed at a roundtable event by Executive Women Australia held in Sydney last year, she was paid a shameful 50% less than market average. She then spent the next three years working towards what she should have been paid in the first place.
Today professional women in Australia are still under-represented in C-level jobs. Just take look at the statistics*:
- 141 executive ASX 500 line management roles vs. 2148 line management roles for men
- 2% per cent of ASX 200 Chairman roles
- 2% per cent of ASX 200 CEO roles
- 3.8% of ASX 500 Executive Director roles
- 9.2% per cent of executive roles in the ASX 200 and ASX 500
- 6% per cent of ASX 500 line management positions
- Managerial representation on one third of companies in the ASX 500
- Twenty one per cent of roles earning $100,000+ per annum
Women’s weekly earnings in the public sector are 12.9 per cent less than their male counterparts, and in the private sector are 28 per cent less their male counterparts.
Clearly, this presents a disincentive for talented women to stay within an organisation or stay on the corporate ladder.
That’s where Executive Women Australia (EWA) steps in. Spearheaded by Tara Cheesman, the membership-based organisation helps professional women secure top jobs. She believes that women cannot afford to be passive when building their careers. So she created a platform via EWA to help raise their profile, showcase their expertise and expand their connections. The organisation runs masterclasses with inspiring female leaders as guest speakers, helps find a mentor via their mentor-matching program and holds various networking events and round-table forums.
Initially launched in Sydney, EWA is coming to Melbourne, and to celebrate, they’re holding an evening of cocktails, connections and conversations with some of Melbourne’s leading professional women.
When: Wednesday, 19th February 2014
Time: 6:oo -7:30pm
Where: Paspaley Pearls, Grand Hyatt Melbourne, 123 Collins St.
Interested in attending? We have two tickets to give away for WOMAN.com.au readers. To win yours, tell us your career highlight in 2013 below.
Competition ends 14th Feb 12:00 AEDST.
- Enter Now
- Competition Terms and Conditions
Step 1: Subscribe to woman.com.au weekly inspiration.
Step 2: Like WOMAN.com.au Facebook Page.
Step 3: In 25 words or less, tell us your career highlight in 2013 below.
1. Competition entries must have their email subscription verified by clicking on the link provided on the verification email.
2. Valid for Australian residents only.
3. Two winners will receive a free ticket to EWA cocktail evening in Melbourne on Wednesday, 19 Feb 2014.
4. Entries close 4pm AEST, Friday, 14 Feb 2014. Winning entry must complete all 3 steps. The winner will be notified by email and an announcement made on Woman.com.au Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and other digital channels. The prize cannot be exchanged or redeemed for cash.
*Source: Executive Women Australia